This morning I took an early flight to Barcelona to attend the European SharePoint Conference over there. Last year this conference was organized in the coolest city of Europe: Copenhagen. This year they’ve to invite the sun at the conference.
The first day is a traditional SharePoint workshop day. You can attend a whole-day workshop with topics like: BI, Admin, Governance, App development. All presented by top trainers of the SharePoint community. I was in the SharePoint 2013 App development workshop of Sahil Malik. One of the best. A fine speaker that isn’t following a predefined book but who uses a lot of real world examples. The room was filled with SharePoint developers who all wanted to learn more about the App model.
What are the things I remembered?
* That you can do a lot client site by using CSOM or REST (was also in SP2010).
* That sandboxed solutions are not deprecated, only the sandboxed solutions with .NET code are deprecated!
* That the app model still contains some holes.
To summarize, there are the golden rules of SharePoint apps:
* Apps never run any code on the SP server.
* Apps are downloaded and installed (marketplace, corporate catalog or API)
* Apps never run from the same url as the SharePoint server
* Apps are installed in a SPWeb (HostWeb). Apps can store information on an AppWeb (optional) that also runs on another url.
* Apps can use server side code but on another server
* Apps are secured using OAuth or S2S trust (for oauth you need office365, your data can be still on premise)
Oh, yes … the food was delicious 😉
Gene Vangampelaere is the SharePoint solutions architect at Howest and a freelance SharePoint trainer. On his blog SPums.be he focusses mainly on poweruser driven solutions that can be build on SharePoint. Gene is also passionated about social media. You can follow him on Twitter (@Vangampelaere) of Facebook (www.FB.com/Vangampelaere.gene)