The new version of SharePoint sever is already available and despite the new features and the new product life cycle, the installation is not a straightforward task and there are a lot of requirements and dependencies involved in the process.
In this article you will find visual instructions to install it on a Hyper-V virtual machine, keep in mind that an installation like this should be used just for testing or development purposes.
This article has 5 different sections that will guide you through the installation process step by step, to accomplish it you will need to:
- Install and Configure Hyper-V
- Install Windows Server 2022
- Install Active Directory Domain Services
- Install SQL Server 2019
- Install SharePoint Server Subscription Edition
If you don’t have yet all the licenses or ISO files to accomplish the installation you can download trial versions of everything:
Note: You can use the following trial product keys. The trial period is 180 days. You can convert to a licensed installation at any time during the trial or after the trial has expired by entering the appropriate product key in Central Administration.
SharePoint Server Standard Trial: KGN4V-82BMC-H383V-QJVFT-VCHJ7
SharePoint Server Enterprise Trial: VW2FM-FN9FT-H22J4-WV9GT-H8VKF
Project Server Trial: WD6NX-PGRBH-3FQ88-BRBVC-8XFTV
Create the Virtual Machine and Configure Hyper-V
- Install Hyper-V on your computer following the instructions available here
- Open Hyper-V Manager
- Right click on the name of the server and then New -> Virtual Machine
- On the Before you Begin click next
- Provide a name and a location for your machine, make sure you have enough free space on the drive you select
- Select Generation 2 for the virtual machine
- Assign the maximum memory possible for the VM, I do not recommend anything less than 8GB
- On the Configuring Network, select your Virtual Switch and click next. If you don’t know how to create a virtual switch to share your internet connection with your virtual machine have a look here.
- Create a new virtual hard disk, adjust the size to your needs
- Select Install an operating system later
- Click Finish to end the creation process
- Once the machine is created open the Hyper-V manager, right click on the new machine and then click on Settings…
- Select the processor and adjust the number of virtual processors to increase performance, by default it is set to one
- Click in the SCSI Controller, select DVD Drive and click Add
- From the DVD Drive select Image file and then select your Windows Server 2022 iso file
- Click OK, and then start the Virtual Machine
This blog is part of SharePoint Week. For more great content, click here
About the Author:
With a degree in computer science I’ve been working with SharePoint over the last seven years, mainly focused on creating collaboration and productivity solutions that drive the adoption of Microsoft Modern Workplace.
A true tech enthusiast and author of “HANDS ON SharePoint” and “HANDS ON Teams” blogs I love to share my knowledge.
Ferreira, J. (2021). How to install SharePoint Subscription Edition step by step on Hyper-V | Part 1 of 5. Available at: https://sharepoint.handsontek.net/2021/08/03/install-sharepoint-subscription-edition-step-step-hyper-v-part-1-5/ [Accessed: 12th September 2021].